The Student News Site of Ankeny High School

The Talon

Upcoming Events
  • 4/24 Boys Tennis @ Southeast Polk
  • 4/24 Special Olympics @ AHS
  • 4/25 Girls Tennis @ Ankeny Tennis Center
  • 4/25 Boys Tennis @ Ankeny Tennis Center
  • 4/25 Boys Track @ Drake
  • 4/25 Boys Soccer @ AHS
  • 4/26 Festival of Bands @ Southeast Polk
  • 4/26 Girls Track @ Drake
  • 4/26 Boys Track @ Drake
  • 4/26 Girls Soccer @ TBK Bank Sports Complex
  • 4/27 Boys Soccer @ Northview
  • 4/27 Girls Soccer @ TBK Bank Sports Complex
  • 4/27 Girls Track @ Drake
  • 4/27 Boys Track @ Drake

The Talon

The Talon

SHS brings Day of the Dead celebration to Ankeny families

The annual “Day of the Dead Celebration” took place at Kirkendall Public Library on Nov. 2
Joanna Guerrero
Seniors Brenna Fast and Ava Tomlinson, and juniors Faith Spoelstra, and Kaylyn Miller showcase their coloring pages. Students worked the coloring station helping kids color sheets in the Day of the Dead celebration hosted by Spanish Honor Society at Kirkendall Library. “We put this event together to expand the knowledge of the people in our community about Dia de los Muertos and Spanish culture,” Miller said.

On Thursday Nov. 2 Spanish Honor Society (SHS) alongside Kirkendall Public Library brought Day of the Dead for the community of Ankeny to experience and enjoy. Families and kids were able to indulge in activities set up by SHS members. 

“November 1st and 2nd is when Day of the dead is celebrated in many Latin American countries. The holiday is to celebrate those who have passed on before us,” Spanish teacher and SHS sponsor Jillian Anderson said. “And with this event we are engaging the community in some of the activities that many Latinos participate in these days, such as decorating sugar skulls, making papel picado, which is a decoration that is on the altars, and making paper flowers.”

Anderson and Kelly Munter, the youth services librarian at Kirkendall, collaborated to bring this celebration of the Day of the Dead for families. 

“I helped coordinate this event with Jillian,” Munter said. “Jillian’s husband actually works here at the library so that was our main connection. This is our second year doing this event.” 

Munter says that these events are a wonderful opportunity for families to experience different cultures. 

“It’s important [for SHS to host these events] to connect the language that we’re learning to the actual culture and then be able to teach the culture to other community members and show appreciation for the culture as well,” Anderson said. 

Activities included coloring pages, a scavenger hunt, making sugar skulls out of stickers, and making papel picado and flowers out of tissue paper. SHS students helped run each station. 

“I was at the coloring station coloring with little kids,” junior Kaylyn Miller said. “Coloring is really calming for the kids. I really enjoyed finding the colors for the kids and helping them and giving them my opinion on what to color.” 

Sophomore Addison Meyer, who worked the scavenger hunt and at the welcome station, says that it was really fun seeing the kids excited when they understood the jokes.

Sophomore Addison Meyer and senior Natalee Dermer helped out with the event by working the welcome and scavenger hunt station. “I really like doing the Spanish Honor Society events,” Meyer said. “They’re always really fun, and I’ve always loved Dia de los Muertos, so to be able to help with it is really fun.” (Joanna Guerrero)

“I wanted to help out with the event because I like kids, and I like seeing all the kids happy and enjoying all the activities,” senior foreign exchange student Natalia Perez Martinez said. “I [also wanted to help] knowing that many here have something in common, they speak and know Spanish. And I like to meet more people.” 

Families could also see the altars, known as ofrendas in Spanish, that SHS members made for famous Mexican and Latin American celebrities. 

“I made an ofrenda for Frida Kahlo,” senior Brenna Fast said. “[The ofrenda] is like a decoration that you kind of set up for a loved one that died. In this case, she’s not my loved one, but she is famous. It’s to honor their passing and to invite them back.” 

: Featured is the altar for Frida Kahlo made by senior Brenna Fast. “I chose to do Frida Kahlo because I wanted to do her last year, and then I didn’t, so then I decided to do her this year. But she’s a famous artist, and I like art,” Fast said. (Joanna Guerrero)

Kahlo’s altar included candles, pictures of her, some flowers, paint brushes, and a blanket. Items that represent and commemorate her life. 

Kids reportedly enjoyed going through the stations. 

“I like the one where you cut the papel picado,” Sebastian Anderson, Anderson’s son said.

Seniors Lio Aguirre and Sophie Shadwick, junior Ava Gifford, and senior Natalia Perez Martinez pose at the papel picado station. “It’s a fun [station] because it’s hard, but also fun,” Perez said. (Joanna Guerrero)
Patrick Anderson, Anderson’s youngest son, says his favorite station was making the flowers. It was his first time making a flower out of tissue paper and pipe cleaners.

“The Day of the Dead Celebration went great,” Munter said when the event ended. 

The Spanish Honor Society hopes to continue hosting these events to connect community members to different cultures. 

“These events are beneficial for everyone,” senior Lio Aguirre said. “It was really fun and I would do it again.”