The Student News Site of Ankeny High School

The Talon

Upcoming Events
  • 4/24 Boys Tennis @ Southeast Polk
  • 4/24 Special Olympics @ AHS
  • 4/25 Girls Tennis @ Ankeny Tennis Center
  • 4/25 Boys Tennis @ Ankeny Tennis Center
  • 4/25 Boys Track @ Drake
  • 4/25 Boys Soccer @ AHS
  • 4/26 Festival of Bands @ Southeast Polk
  • 4/26 Girls Track @ Drake
  • 4/26 Boys Track @ Drake
  • 4/26 Girls Soccer @ TBK Bank Sports Complex
  • 4/27 Boys Soccer @ Northview
  • 4/27 Girls Soccer @ TBK Bank Sports Complex
  • 4/27 Girls Track @ Drake
  • 4/27 Boys Track @ Drake

The Talon

The Talon

Top NFL Prospects

Talon reporter Levi Foster discusses the top National Football League (NFL) prospects of the 2024 NFL draft. Graphic made by Levi Foster using Canva

With the 2024 NFL Draft coming up later this month, scouts and coaches have some tough choices to make about who they want on their team next season. After watching film and the results from the draft combine, here are my top ten prospects coming into this year’s draft.

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., Wide Receiver from Ohio State University

Pros:

Harrison Jr., the best wide receiver in this draft, has shown his ability to beat the press and is a freak of nature. The 6-foot-4, 205 pound wideout can accelerate quickly off the line of scrimmage. Harrison Jr. has also shown elite hands during his tenure at Ohio State and can make any catch that is asked of him, whether it is a catch near the sidelines, a jump ball, or a ball in the middle of the field. Harrison Jr.’s skill set will be displayed in the NFL and will be a welcome addition to any wide receiver room in the league.

Cons:

Harrison Jr.’s cuts while running a route can be a little slow and sloppy, as it is his biggest weakness. Also, he holds the ball a little bit loose for a wideout. NFL players can easily knock the ball out of his hand if he is not careful.

1. Caleb Williams, Quarterback from the University of South California (USC)

Pros:

The projected first pick in this year’s draft, Williams has been a standout quarterback at USC since he got the starting nod in 2021. The former Heisman winner has elite arm strength and accuracy with his throws in the pocket, while also being able to avoid sacks and use his legs to gain some yards on a scramble. There is no better quarterback in this draft on a bootleg, as his ability to throw on the run is usually spot-on.

Cons:

As talented as Williams is, no potential first-overall pick is ever perfect. At USC the scheme was very rudimentary, as it only required Williams to make at most two reads to find who was open. Adjusting to an NFL playbook could pose a stark change for Williams.

1. Jayden Daniels, Quarterback from Louisiana State University (LSU)

Pros:

The Heisman-winning quarterback from LSU had an impressive season this past year and showed off his arm talent and ability to escape. He is the best mobile quarterback in this draft as he has elite speed. Daniels is also good when it comes to throwing on the run. Daniels has played five years in college, which means he is rather experienced and knows how to get a locker room to rally behind him.

Cons:

Daniels has shown an inconsistent throwing motion at times while in the pocket, which affects his timing and consistency with his arm strength. After his first or second read, Daniels has also struggled with looking for his progressions, or receivers.

1. Malik Nabers, Wide Receiver from Louisiana State University(LSU)

Pros:

The star wide receiver from LSU was Jayden Daniels’s top target this year. Nabers has consistently shown his quickness and his ability to catch almost any ball thrown his way. Nabers is also effective in the open field, as he gets a lot of YAC (Yards After Catch) and can make multiple defenders miss before being brought down.

Cons:

For Nabers to excel in the league, he needs to work on his release off the line of scrimmage. Wide receivers cannot solely rely on their speed when breaking off the line of scrimmage in the NFL, especially with a press from an opposing cornerback.

1. Joe Alt, Offensive Tackle from the University of Notre Dame

Pros:

Alt is the best offensive tackle prospect in this class standing in at a staggering 6-foot-8 and weighing in at 315 pounds. He is explosive and can cover the blindside of a quarterback well. Alt is also the best run blocker in the class and knows how to attack oncoming defensive pressure best.

Cons:

While it was not an issue during his college career, Alt tends to lunge toward defenders. At the NFL level, defensive linemen can use this bad habit to get past a swim move or use flat-out speed to get by him easily.

1. Dallas Turner, Outside Linebacker from the University of Alabama

Pros:

Turner has shown off his elusiveness and ability to quickly change directions during his time at Alabama. Turner took part in the 2024 NFL Combine and showed off his elite speed when he ran a 4.46-second 40-yard dash. Turner is versatile, as he can be a part of the pass rush and he can also drop back into coverage.

Cons:

While Turner excels when it comes to athleticism, he struggles a bit with his technique. When it comes to shedding blocks from opposing offensive linemen, he needs to refine his hand movements to get past the blocks.

1. Rome Odunze, Wide Receiver from the University of Washington

Pros:

A natural athlete, this wide receiver from Washington played a massive role in leading the Huskies to the National Championship last season. Odunze is a gifted athlete and showed off his abilities as a wide receiver all season long, with his elite ball-tracking skills and his awareness of where defenders are on the field. Odunze also runs routes effectively and smoothly, which allows him to get open more easily.

Cons:

Like Nabers, Odunze needs to work on his release off of the line of scrimmage. Unlike Nabers, Odunze needs to add more routes to his arsenal in order to be an effective wide receiver in the league.

1. Drake Maye, Quarterback from the University of North Carolina (UNC)

Pros:

Maye has shown off his arm strength during his tenure at UNC, making throws downfield with blazing velocity. He has good size for a quarterback standing in at 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds. Maye has also shown his skillset in the ground game, as his ability to scramble and evade defenders is a pleasant surprise.

Cons:

Mechanically, his fundamentals are not up to par with quarterbacks in the league. His footwork has been sketchy at best during his time at UNC, as he drifts from side to side in the pocket instead of straight back on his drop-backs. This causes him to create more pressure on himself than if he just went straight back. Also, he tends to make risky throws when he is under pressure leading to unnecessary turnovers. He is a natural talent but will need a year or two to develop into a good quarterback.

1.  Jared Verse, Edge Rusher from Florida State University

Pros:

An experienced pass rusher, this fifth-year senior from Florida State showed off at the Draft Combine. He logged in 31 reps on bench press and ran a 4.58-second 40-yard dash. Verse is explosive in his first step and has a wide variety of moves under his belt. He has the experience and athleticism scouts and teams want.

Cons:

Verse often misses tackles while in the backfield, and with the overall quality of athletes increasing as he enters the league, it is crucial for Verse to work on his tackling. Verse is also slightly underweight for a defensive lineman, coming into the draft at 258 pounds.

1. Brock Bowers, Tight End from the University of Georgia

Pros:

The tight end from Georgia has shown elusiveness and speed. Bowers is a modern NFL tight end, as he has elite route running and great hands as well. Bowers has also shown good character, as he strives to become better and does not know when to quit on the football field.

Cons:

His size is cause for concern as he stands at 6-foot-3 and 243 pounds. Bowers may only be utilized as a flex tight end in his first couple of years, which means he would not be out there to block on the line of scrimmage much.