The Student News Site of Ankeny High School

The Talon

Upcoming Events
  • 4/24 Boys Tennis @ Southeast Polk
  • 4/24 Special Olympics @ AHS
  • 4/25 Girls Tennis @ Ankeny Tennis Center
  • 4/25 Boys Tennis @ Ankeny Tennis Center
  • 4/25 Boys Track @ Drake
  • 4/25 Boys Soccer @ AHS
  • 4/26 Festival of Bands @ Southeast Polk
  • 4/26 Girls Track @ Drake
  • 4/26 Boys Track @ Drake
  • 4/26 Girls Soccer @ TBK Bank Sports Complex
  • 4/27 Boys Soccer @ Northview
  • 4/27 Girls Soccer @ TBK Bank Sports Complex
  • 4/27 Girls Track @ Drake
  • 4/27 Boys Track @ Drake

The Talon

The Talon

Energy infusion drinks

A review of some Hawk favorite energy-boosting beverages

As you walk through the hallways of Ankeny High School you might notice a large number of people holding brightly-colored drinks. Whether it is coffee, canned energy drinks, smoothies, or an energy infusion, energy infused libations are especially popular among Hawks. So where can you get the best infusion here in Ankeny? The answers are right here…

7Brew energy infusion flavored Ocean Breeze. (Ava Sarenpa)

7 Brew Energy Infusion ($5.71 for a small)

When going to 7brew, I asked for their most popular energy infusion, which they call 7Energy. They suggested the Ocean Breeze flavor, which has both blue raspberry and coconut in it. The overall taste is not too sweet and neither flavor was overpowering. The balance of flavors made the drink not too sweet. The only downside was that the cup was filled with ice which was expected at most coffee shops. Overall, the drink was good and I suggest going to 7brew to try their energy infusions!

Smokey Row energy infusion flavored Blue Lagoon. (Ava Sarenpa)

Smokey Row Energy Infusion ($6.36 for one size)

Sticking with the blue raspberry theme, I got the Blue Lagoon flavor which is both blue raspberry and mango. This infusion was a lot sweeter than the others, almost a little too sweet. It was very carbonated compared to others which was enjoyable. The flavor of blue raspberry completely drowned out the flavor of mango, at first I did not even realize there was mango in it. I recommend it if you enjoy sweet drinks.

Twisted Bean Coffee energy infusion with flavors white chocolate and blue raspberry. (Ava Sarenpa)
Ziggis energy infusion called Beach Bum. (Ava Sarenpa)

Twisted Bean Energy Infusion ($5.46 for one size)

Twisted Bean Coffee recently opened in Ankeny and this was my first time trying it. I got one of their suggested flavors which was white chocolate and blue raspberry. There was no flavor sticking out when comparing them to each other. Although, the taste of these two specific flavors together was a little different and funky. Energy infusions already taste slightly artificial, but this had an extra artificial taste compared to the other infusions I have tasted. The aftertaste was slightly enjoyable, and the drink altogether was not too sweet which was a positive. Unsure if I would go back, but would be interesting to see what their other flavors taste like.

Scooters energy infusion flavored blue raspberry. (Ava Sarenpa)

Ziggi’s Energy Infusion  ($5.25 for a small)

At Ziggi’s I got a premade flavor on their menu called Beach Bum. It included blue raspberry, coconut, and pineapple. The flavors all stuck out on their own but blended together nicely. The only flavor that was slightly stronger than the others was the coconut. The infusion as a whole was not too sweet. It was a very good balance. I do recommend Ziggi’s and am looking forward to trying more flavors.

Scooters Energy Infusion  ($6.52 for a medium)

At Scooters, I was surprised to hear that they had energy infusions. They had very few flavors and I decided to choose blue raspberry. The drink had a very artificial flavor, almost tasting somewhat like plastic which was unenjoyable. Along with it being very sweet, it overall had an interesting flavor to it. I would not go Scooters to get an energy infusion in the future as there are better options in Ankeny that even are cheaper.