‘Victory for girls’ sports’?

GSA and SPEC join forces to bring awareness and provide support for transgender students

Ankeny+High+School+Gay-Straight+Alliance+%28GSA%29+and+Student+Political+Engagement+Club+%28SPEC%29+will+host+a+fundraiser+on+Tuesday%2C+April+19+to+support+transgender+students+and+bring+awareness+to+legislation+recently+put+in+place%2C+such+as+House+File+2416.+

Alissa Hansen

Ankeny High School Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) and Student Political Engagement Club (SPEC) will host a fundraiser on Tuesday, April 19 to support transgender students and bring awareness to legislation recently put in place, such as House File 2416.

Lauren Kemp, Editor; Staff Reporter

The Ankeny High School Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) and Student Political Engagement Club (SPEC) plan to host a fundraiser before and after school on Tuesday, April 19 to support transgender students and bring awareness to legislation recently put in place. 

Signed into law in early March, House File 2416 prohibits transgender girls and women from participating in girls’ and women’s athletics in Iowa’s schools, colleges, and universities. 

Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds describes the bill as a “victory for girls’ sports,” reports The Iowa State Daily.  

While it has received some backlash in Iowa and nationwide that calls out its negative effects on transgender students.

Tables will be set up at the west and east doors at AHS where both clubs will be selling buttons, stickers, and bracelets and handing out informational pamphlets. All of the proceeds will go to the One Iowa organization, which advocates for LGBTQIA+ Iowans. 

SUPPORT LGBTQIA+ fundraiser poster

The idea for the fundraiser was created after the bill was passed and  GSA and SPEC joined forces to help spread information and bring awareness to their support of trans-student-athletes. Senior Mya Pertzborn posted a Google Form survey for an economics project where students were asked about their knowledge of topics pertaining to the LGBTQIA+ community.

“A lot of people want to know more, they just don’t know how,” Pertzborn said.

Students and faculty have concerns about how the law is currently affecting trans students at AHS and hope the fundraiser will shed light on the issue and support transgender students.

GSA teacher sponsor and English and drama teacher Mollie Jo Blahunka wants to reassure students of the support from school staff and leaders.

“We are really trying to promote to our students that regardless of what other people think, they are loved, valued, and appreciated,” Blahunka said.

Senior Ash Hartfield has seen the direct effects at AHS on transgender students. 

“Part of the issue is that people don’t think that it is an issue anymore,” Hartfield said. “They don’t realize there is so much pushback and people are actually affected by this.”

Senior Abby Thilges expressed concerns about the impacts to not only transgender students, but also all members of the LGBTQIA+ community and its allies.

“It’s very disheartening for the entire GSA in general, even if you’re not trans, just to see our trans peers being affected by it. It’s awful,”  Thilges said.

The GSA meets every Wednesday at 8:45 a.m. in Blahunka’s room (room 1324) and SPEC meets every Thursday after school in history teacher Kendra Richardson’s room (room 1204).