The Student News Site of Ankeny High School

The Talon

Upcoming Events
  • 4/24 Boys Tennis @ Southeast Polk
  • 4/24 Special Olympics @ AHS
  • 4/25 Girls Tennis @ Ankeny Tennis Center
  • 4/25 Boys Tennis @ Ankeny Tennis Center
  • 4/25 Boys Track @ Drake
  • 4/25 Boys Soccer @ AHS
  • 4/26 Festival of Bands @ Southeast Polk
  • 4/26 Girls Track @ Drake
  • 4/26 Boys Track @ Drake
  • 4/26 Girls Soccer @ TBK Bank Sports Complex
  • 4/27 Boys Soccer @ Northview
  • 4/27 Girls Soccer @ TBK Bank Sports Complex
  • 4/27 Girls Track @ Drake
  • 4/27 Boys Track @ Drake

The Talon

The Talon

“WE DON’T TRUST YOU” Review

Album cover of WE DONT TRUST YOU by Future and Metro Boomin. Album cover from Epic / Freebandz / Republic / Boominati Worldwide
Album cover of “WE DON”T TRUST YOU” by Future and Metro Boomin. Album cover from Epic / Freebandz / Republic / Boominati Worldwide

Future and Metro Boomin return to the music industry with their new collaboration album “WE DON’T TRUST YOU.” This is Future’s first album since 2022’s “I NEVER LIKED YOU,” and the next album in the line of Metro Boomin’s reign of hip hop production, with the last being 2023’s soundtrack to the hit movie “Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse.” 

I am going to start out by saying that “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” is my favorite Future album since 2017’s “HNDRXX.” I loved this production by Metro Boomin a lot and could consider it as top tier from Metro. 

The features on this album are insane. There are a limited amount of features on this 17-track album, however, the features really elevate the quality of this album and make it feel like it is on a grander scale. The features on “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” consist of Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, Playboi Carti, Rick Ross, and The Weeknd. And by far, my favorite features have to be on the track “Type Sh*t,” which has features from both Travis Scott and Playboi Carti. To see Playboi Carti giving two full-length feature verses across both “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” and “VULTURES 1” is amazing to see in 2024, and I’m really loving this new deep voice from Carti. 

Another highlight was the track “Like That,” which I enjoyed because of Metro Boomin’s production on it. The track sampled the song “Eazy-Duz-It” by Eazy-E and the beat reminded me of 2012’s “Ima Boss” by Rick Ross and Meek Mill. I could see this song becoming a stadium anthem over the next few years. This was also the song with the Kendrick Lamar feature which was nothing short of amazing. Lamar always pulls through with an amazing feature verse and this time was no different. In his verse, Kendrick throws shots at popular rappers J. Cole and Drake. This was cool to see because a bit of drama between big names in the industry always sells.

The production of this album was top-tier. There were less than three beats that I did not like on “WE DON’T TRUST YOU.” Metro Boomin knew what his job was and got it done. I think my favorite beat produced on this album was “Everyday Hustle.” The transitions on this album are great as well. There was at least one point during listening to this album that I did not know that I was on the next song because the seamless transitions are just so smooth.

Another highlight is the voice of Future himself. Future is the face of trap music in 2024 and this album proves why. Pop-trap music has not sounded this good in a while. Future had some good lyrics and all of his flows were good as always. The performances from Future himself complimented the beats made by Metro so well and proved why they’re a good duo, stemming from their biggest hit “Superhero” on 2022’s “HEROES AND VILLAINS.” 

Metro’s use of adlibs, producer tags, and background vocals also worked really well on this album. Classic producer tags such as “If young Metro don’t trust you I’m gon’ shoot you” were in this album, as well as background vocals from Travis Scott on songs like “WTFYM” and The Weeknd on “Young Metro.” The use of these vocals lets you know where these songs fit into the world of rap and music, enhancing the psychedelic feel of some songs.

Another thing I really like about this album was the marketing and advertising itself. The title “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” captures a sense of being independent and even includes a little paranoia. Then you see the album cover, which consists of Metro Boomin and Future standing behind a dark background with a briefcase and Future appears to be covering his mouth. The album cover and title really capture the energy that you hear when actually listening to the album, which I find to be really cool. 

This is not the last time in 2024 you will see Metro Boomin and Future team up. The duo has a second project that is currently scheduled to release on April 12, 2024. So if you either can not get enough Metro and Future, or “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” did not sit right with you, there is another project coming soon from them.

All in all, Metro Boomin and Future delivered a great project with “WE DON’T TRUST YOU,” which scores 3.5/5 stars rating from me.